Save money and time by making the switch to natural gas, America’s #1 energy choice!
- Save money. Switch to clean and affordable natural gas – delivered right to your heating system – and save up to 50% on your energy bills.
- Save time. No negotiating with propane or heating oil suppliers. Our rates are regulated by the Michigan Public Service Commission.
Why spend another winter paying high heating bills? Make the switch and enjoy the advantages of economical, clean-burning natural gas:
- Lower energy cost – saves you up to 50% on your energy bills.
- Reliable and convenient – natural gas is there when you need it. No tanks to fill. No deliveries to schedule.
- Environmentally friendly – natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel.
- Domestic fuel with an abundant supply – About 98% of the natural gas used in the United States comes from North America and has a proven reserve that will last 100 years or more.
Compare Costs for Yourself
Fill in the blanks below, then click the "Calculate Savings" button for your potential cost savings.
|Convert Current Fuel to Natural Gas Units:|
|1,000 gallons||x||91,000 Btu per gallon (1)||=||891||Ccf Natural Gas (2)|
|102,100 Btu per Ccf (1)|
|Your Current Annual Fuel Costs:||$1,230|
|Your Equivalent Natural Gas Costs:|
|891||Ccfs x 0.86206 (3)||$768|
|$10.50||Customer Charge (3) x 12 months||$126|
|$0.23||Monthly U-16999 IRM Surcharge (3) x 12 months||$2.76|
|4% Residential Michigan Sales Tax||$36|
|Total Annual Natural Gas Costs (4)||$930|
|Your Estimated Annual Savings with Natural Gas:||$300|
(1) Source: Energy Information Administration Web site, "Apples, Oranges and Btu"
(2) Ccf = hundred cubic feet
(3) DTE's current rate as approved by the Michgan Public Service Commission
(4) Note: Other potential installation fees may apply.
Is MichCon Natural Gas Service available in my area?
The Michigan Public Service Commission maintains a state-wide listing of electric and gas utility companies and the general areas they serve. Once you have determined that MichCon serves your community, please use the e-mail or phone contact information below to find out if service is available at your location.
How do I make the switch?
It’s easy! Just send us an e-mail or call 800.338.0178 for SE Mich. areas or 800.533.6220 for all other areas. A MichCon representative will contact you to verify service is available at your location and to provide an estimated cost for service line and meter installation.