The DTE Energy Foundation is at the core of DTE Energy’s commitment to the communities and customers it is privileged to serve. It will aggressively communicate this reaffirmed commitment at every opportunity. The DTE Energy Foundation is dedicated to strengthening the fabric of these communities and its connection to customers in three areas …
Hope … Despite the decade of wrenching economic change that has buffeted Michigan, we embrace and support efforts that strengthen Michigan’s vitality and support its reemergence as an engine of ingenuity and economic growth.
Heart … The DTE Energy Foundation and DTE Energy employees remain committed to providing life-sustaining help to the most disadvantaged of our neighbors.
Smarts … We recognize that the path to a brilliant future is illuminated by the bright light of education, innovation and the development of inspiring leaders in all walks of life and enthusiastically support innovative initiatives in these areas.
The DTE Energy Foundation is developing initiatives of significant programmatic and financial weight which address the pressing needs of the communities served by DTE Energy. These programs and partners will be determined by the DTE Energy Foundation. Applications will not be accepted for these programs.
The DTE Energy Foundation will continue to provide operational and other support to its core partners in the areas of Leadership Development, Education, Environment, Economic Development, Diversity, Human Needs and the leading cultural institutions across the DTE Energy service area. These organizations have been pre-determined.
While most of the Foundation’s resources are dedicated to Signature Programs and Anchor Institutions, some funds will be available for unanticipated new opportunities, or expanded programs of the Anchor Institution partners.
DTE Energy Foundation Youth Employment Program
The DTE Energy Foundation, through partners who are expert in this area, will fund summer employment opportunities for over three hundred young adults and ensure they benefit from a quality worksite experience and acquire good work habits and important employment related skills.
DTE Energy Foundation / American Red Cross Fire Safety Initiative
The DTE Energy Foundation will launch a significant effort to make our communities safer by investing in the expansion of the American Red Cross' Community Disaster Education Program, a series of efforts and a collection of materials designed to educate children on how to prevent and be prepared for disasters of any kind, with major emphasis on fire prevention.
The DTE Energy Foundation Holiday Meals on Wheels Partnership
This initiative is targeted at many of our most at-risk neighbors: homebound seniors intent on maintaining their independence. the Foundation will sponsor thousands of meals which will be delivered during the holiday season by DTE Energy Cares employee volunteers.
The Foundation will provide operating and program support to its core long-term partners.
Programs that provide unique experiences to equip individuals with leadership skills.
Programs that increase the number of college undergraduates entering the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) disciplines, thereby expanding the STEM workforce pipeline.
Priority will be given to programs that:
- Demonstrate proven effectiveness with increasing the number of college undergraduates in the STEM disciplines
- Provide an opportunity to improve skills in more than one STEM discipline
- Target high school age children
- Provide programs in underserved communities of DTE Energy's service area
- Serve a large number of students (district-wide, multiple cities)
Academic tutorial and enhancement programs that advance student achievement (must be part of organization’s core mission).
- Specific academic departments of engineering, science and business that prepare students to enter the professional workforce.
- Programs and institutions that prepare students for technical and skilled trade careers in the energy industry.
- Programs that increase student retention and success in engineering, the sciences and business with a focus on women and minorities.
- Programs that protect and restore the environment and enhance the quality of life in the communities that we serve or are home to our facilities.
- Education programs that build understanding of the environment and promote an understanding of the links between environmental stewardship and sustainable development, including education about renewable energy and energy efficiency, that reaches a broad audience.
Priority will be given to transformational projects in our urban core cities that can demonstrate significant economic impact.
- Programs and organizations that enhance and promote understanding and inclusiveness.
- Programs and organizations that encourage and advocate for effective, positive change to combat discrimination.
- Programs and organizations that celebrate and enhance awareness of different cultures.
Priority will be given to supporting organizations that are in the forefront of addressing the critical, acute human needs brought on by the economic downturn.
Leading Cultural Institutions
The list of recipients has been pre-identified within the service area of Detroit Edison and MichCon, based on physical assets, attendance, artistic merit, annual budget and geographic representation.
Applications for uncommitted funds will be reviewed on a competitive basis using the criteria developed for the Anchor Institution categories.