Portable space heaters and gas or electric fireplaces are convenient but can be hazardous if not used properly.
Prevent burns, fires and carbon monoxide hazards by following these safety tips:
- Use appliances only for their intended purpose. Never try to heat your home using your stove, outdoor grill or any other appliance not specifically designed for indoor heating
- Keep children and pets a safe distance from heating appliances
- A portable space heater should never be left unattended. Don’t use a space heater overnight in the room where you are sleeping.
- Maintain proper ventilation in the room where a fuel-source (gas, kerosene, etc.) heater is being used. Open the fireplace damper or open a window slightly to ensure the flow of fresh air and prevent carbon monoxide build-up.
- Place heaters at least three feet away from bedding, furniture, drapes and other combustibles.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing, operating and maintaining your heating appliance.
- Keep properly functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on each level of your home and close to sleeping areas.
- Never use electric heaters near water because of the possibility of shock or electrocution.
- Avoid using extension cords with electric heaters.