We make it easy and convenient to request service when you need it.
To ensure a trouble-free service call…
- Contact us at least 10 days in advance when requesting to start or stop your DTE Energy electric or gas service. This allows adequate time to schedule your appointment.
- If your meter is inside your home, or you are starting natural gas service, an adult 18-years or older must be present for the entire time of the service visit.
- If your electric meter is outside, you do not need to be present. However, please make sure there are no locked gates or items blocking the meter and all pets are safely secured.
- If you are starting natural gas service, at least one working natural gas operated appliance --
a stove, water heater, furnace or dryer -- must be in place so that we can properly safety check your connection.
- Your electric service must be on before we can start your natural gas service. The water service must be turned on to safety check a water heater.
- If you miss your appointment time, you will have to contact us to reschedule for the next available appointment time.
- When you request that we stop your electric or gas service, we need access to the meter. If your energy meter is inside and the service person does not gain access, billing will continue until we can access the meter to obtain a meter reading and, if necessary, disconnect the meter.
- Under some circumstances, you may be asked to provide identification, proof of ownership or other documentation to us to complete your request to start service.
Two business days before your service date, we will attempt to contact you with a reminder of the service date and appointment time. Please be sure to provide your most current and accurate contact information when you make your appointment.
- We value your safety.
- We value your time.
- We value your need to receive reliable service from employees who are friendly, respectful, knowledgeable and professional.
- We value your need to understand our products, services and how to do business with us.
It is our goal to deliver safe and reliable service that leaves you very satisfied. After your service call is completed, a DTE Energy representative may contact you to evaluate your level of satisfaction with the service you received.