Low-Income Programs

We understand the importance of energy in your life, and our goal is to keep your services turned on. Throughout the year, we work with government agencies and community organizations to offer payment assistance to income-qualified residents.

If you are behind on your energy bill, we will work with you to discuss payment plan options or direct you to energy assistance agencies in your area. For more information, contact us at (800) 477-4747.

How to Apply

This video describes which documents and information you will need to provide when applying for energy assistance.

Federal Poverty Guidelines

To receive specific types of energy assistance, we allow your income to be at or above a certain percentage of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

Persons in family/household2022-2023
Federal Poverty Guidelines














For each additional person within a household, add $4,720.

Income Eligibility

Based on your income, you could qualify for energy assistance or a payment plan to help pay your past-due balance or current bill.

Within the table below, determine the number of members in your household and then your monthly or yearly income. Then decide if you might qualify for a specific type of energy assistance or payment plan.

Type of Energy AssistanceHome Heating CreditSER1
Salvation Army
RIA Credit
Protection Plan
Number of Household MembersAnnual IncomeMonthly IncomeMonthly Income




























For each additional person add$5,192$590$787


1State Emergency Relief
2Low-Income Self-Sufficiency Plan
3The Heat and Warmth Fund
4Michigan Community Action

Some non-profit agencies may provide assistance to households with a higher income level than listed above. Contact the specific agency for details.

You can also call United Way of Southeastern Michigan at 211 or (844) 211-4994 or United Way of Jackson County at (517) 741-0202.

To learn more about foreclosure prevention assistance for Wayne County residents call (877) 693-6199.

Assistance with money-saving home weatherization may be available to those who qualify. Weatherization includes caulking, weather stripping, insulation and programmable thermostats. For more information, call our Energy Efficiency Contact Center at (866) 796-0512.

A federal earned income tax credit is available based on income level and number of qualifying child dependents. To apply, you must file a federal income tax return with Schedule EIC. You can receive part of the credit in your paycheck by completing a W5 form with your employer for Advanced EIC or you can apply for the credit at tax time. To learn more, contact the IRS at (800) 829-3676.

Low-income customers, at or below 110% of the federal poverty level, may be eligible for a home heating credit for the 2021 tax year to help pay winter heating bills. Ask your local tax preparer or seek free assistance from the Accounting Aid Society at (866) 673-0873 or (313) 556-1920.

The Michigan Community Action member service network provides energy assistance and home weatherization to reduce energy use and lower utility bills to income eligible customers. All services to qualified applicants are free. For more information, call (517) 321-7500.

If you are below 150% of the federal poverty level, you may qualify for a $7.50 per month credit on your electric account and/or a $13.50 per month credit on your gas account.

To determine eligibility for the Residential Income Assistance credit, the following documentation is required for income verification and can be emailed directly to RIA@dteenergy.com. Allow for 48 -72 hours for processing of documentation.

  1. Identification for all members of the household who are 18 years or older including the DTE account holder (Valid ID and Social Security Cards are both required):
    • Valid Michigan or government-issued photo ID (Driver’s License, City-Issued Photo ID, State ID, Passport, etc). Note: Due to COVID and delays in renewing licenses, etc, IDs that expired after February 2020 will be accepted at this time.
    • Social Security Cards for all members in the household regardless of the age including the DTE account holder.
  2. Proof of income for all members of the household 18 years or older including the DTE account holder (choose from one of the following):
    • Two (2) most recent copies of paychecks or pay stubs.  Pay stubs greater than 60 days old will not be accepted.
    • Unemployment compensation benefit check stubs or benefit statements
    • SSI Statement for current year
    • MDHHS Benefit Letter
    • Copy of HHC Energy Draft for current year.  Note: We will accept a copy of an HHC Energy Draft if gas is with another utility provider.

If qualified and enrolled, income must be verified every 12 months to continue receiving the credit.

The Salvation Army provides energy assistance and other services to low-income customers. Find a Salvation Army center near you.

A state-earned income refundable credit is available for working individuals and families who meet requirements for a federal earned income credit. Claiming the Michigan Earned Income Credit requires filing a federal 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ form. After the federal Earned Income Credit is approved, complete and submit the MI-1040 form. To learn more, contact the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 373-3200.

The State Emergency Relief program provides immediate help to households who meet federal income guidelines and have a past-due energy bill. Contact the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services at (517) 241-3740.

The Heat and Warmth Fund provides energy assistance and other services to customers who are past due or disconnected. To learn more, call (800) 866-THAW (8429).

Michigan 2-1-1 is a free confidential service linking people with local community-based organizations across the state to help with energy assistance and other needs. To learn more, call 211.

Discounts on monthly telephone/wireless services are available for eligible low-income subscribers. Contact your local telephone company or wireless provider for more information. You can also visit fcc.gov/lifeline.

This program provides a monthly discount on internet service for households at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines who participate in qualifying government programs. Visit affordableconnectivity.gov for more information.

MIHAF provides funds to customers to help prevent homeowner mortgage delinquencies, defaults, foreclosure, loss of utilities and displacement. Applicants must be at or below 150% of the area median income and must demonstrate financial hardship directly related to COVID-19 on or after January 21, 2020. Visit michigan.gov/mihaf to learn more.