Shutoff Protection Plan

It can be difficult managing your monthly energy bills. We want to help get you back on track by enrolling you in our Shutoff Protection Plan.

This plan gives you the option to pay your past-due balance in smaller increments all while avoiding the cost and inconvenience of service interruption.

How it Works

This plan is designed to combine your past-due balance and future energy charges in one monthly payment while protecting you from service disconnection.

At the time of enrollment, your past-due balance and average energy usage calculation are spread equally over the 12-month duration of the plan.

We will re-calculate your energy usage every three months and adjust for fluctuations. If your average energy usage is 5% higher or lower than our original calculation, we will adjust your monthly plan amount. This recalculation is purposeful to prevent you from having another past-due balance at the end of the program.


Our Shutoff Protection Plan is available for income-qualified customers and senior citizens throughout the year. Enrollment requires income verification and an initial down payment. The amount of the down payment will affect the monthly payment amount. Making a larger down payment will result in a lower monthly payment amount.

Customers seeking to enroll in our Shutoff Protection Plan will need to provide proof of income by submitting personal identification and income verifying documentation.

Documents are required for the DTE account holder and all household members.

1. Photo identification

Please provide one of these documents for each adult member of the household (18 years or older). Household members’ identification MUST  match the DTE account address. A valid, color copy must be submitted.

  • Michigan driver’s license
  • Michigan state ID
  • City-issued ID
  • Passport (applies to account holder only)

2. Proof of household members

Please provide document copies for each household member.

  • Adults (18 years old or older): Social Security card (one per adult)
  • Dependents (17 years old or younger):  A birth certificate for each person aged 17 years old or younger

Please note: If an adult household member does not have a Social Security card or a dependent does not have a birth certificate, please provide us with the DTE Account Holder’s most recent Tax Form 1040 (page 1 and 2) with all household members listed.

3. Proof of income

Please provide the applicable documents for each adult household member.

  • Two most recent paystubs dated within the past 60 days
  • Social Security and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) statement for the current year
  • Unemployment compensation benefit statement
  • If self-employed, accounting and business records showing income (a 1099 tax statement is acceptable)
  • Most recently filed Tax Form W-2 (1040), pages 1 and 2, with dependents and income listed. Only valid for submission until June 1 of the year it was filed.
  • Pension statement for current year
  • For unreported wages or if employment just started, a letter from the employer on company letterhead dated within the last 30 days. Please include the hourly rate or monthly gross amount and the number of hours worked per week, including the employer’s signature.
  • Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Benefit Letter that includes cash benefits. All pages required for Cash Assistance, Food Assistance and/or Medicaid Award Letters.
  • State of Michigan Energy Draft or Letter for the current year from any energy provider. Applies to Account Holder only.
  • Veterans Award Benefit Letter

The following documents will NOT be accepted:

  • Bank statements
  • Bridge Cards
  • Concealed Pistol License (CPL)
  • Explanation of Benefit Letter
  • Housing and Urban Development (HUD) documents
  • Lease documents
  • Medicare/Medicaid cards
  • Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) for students
  • Woman, Infant, Child (WIC) documents
  • W-2 form or 1040 form for prior tax years
  • Black and white copies of identification documents (only color copies are accepted)
  • Passports (for household members only)
  • Any documents that appear to be altered
  • Freedom to Work Benefit Letter

Please submit your proof of income and personal identification to us via our Document Submission Portal. Please allow 48 hours after submitting documentation for a Customer Service team member to respond.

State Emergency Relief

If your income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level, you may qualify for energy assistance. Prior to enrolling you in our Shutoff Protection Plan, we may ask you to seek State Emergency Relief to help reduce your arrears so your monthly plan amount will be more affordable.

Customers already enrolled in our Shutoff Protection Plan may be eligible for State Emergency Relief. Please contact MI Bridges to find out if you are eligible.

Shutoff Protection Plan FAQ