Frequently Asked Questions image

Online Account

Frequently Asked Questions

My Profile & Preferences

Sign in to our website and select My Profile & Preferences. Within this section you can update your contact information, including your email address (username), phone number and billing address. You can also change your password, manage your notifications and update preferred contact methods.

Personal Legal Name Change

If the primary account holder’s legal name has changed due to marriage or divorce, please visit us online to upload one of the required documents listed below: 

  • Social Security card
  • Driver's license or government-issued ID
  • Passport
  • Military ID
  • Detroit municipal ID
  • Native American Tribal ID
  • Divorce decree
  • Marriage certificate

Death of an Account Holder

To assign an account to a surviving family member, please call 855.838.7258 and listen carefully to the options. If natural gas and/or electric service is currently active, or if service has been turned off and you are handling the current account holder’s estate, please have the following information and documents:

  • Detailed cover letter including:
    • Your contact information
    • What you are requesting from DTE (start, stop or move service)
  • Death certificate

However, if you are requesting to create an estate account for the deceased or transferring service to your name, you must provide these additional documents (submit all):

  • Estate documentation
  • Trust papers from the estate
  • Tax documentation or Employer Identification Number or EIN
  • Valid Identification (submit one):
    • State-issued driver's license or identification card
    • Social Security card