Natural gas is safe, reliable and clean. However, like any other material when burned - including wood, paper, charcoal, kerosene, propane and gasoline - natural gas can produce carbon monoxide (CO). Whether in a home or a business, make sure natural gas appliances are operating properly, especially in fall and winter when furnaces are running more frequently.
CO is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is very hazardous. It can prevent you from breathing in the oxygen needed to survive. If you suspect a carbon monoxide problem, act immediately to protect yourself and others.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to those of the flu.
DTE recommends an annual inspection of all your natural gas appliances.